The SKIMS mogul was robbed at gunpoint during Paris Fashion Week in 2016
Kim Kardashian. Photo:Gilbert Flores/Variety via Getty
Kim Kardashian will testify in the trial of the suspects in the 2016 jewelry robbery in Paris, PEOPLE has learned.
The trial will begin in May, TMZ reported Tuesday, March 26.
On Oct. 3, 2016, the SKIMS mogul, 44, was robbed at gunpoint at the No Address Hotel during Paris Fashion Week. Five masked men between 40 and 50 years old held her hostage as they stole millions of dollars worth of jewelry from her in the middle of the night. A $4 million ring gifted to her by then-husband Kanye West was among the items taken.
Kim Kardashian — Balenciaga show, 2016 Paris Fashion Week. Bertrand Rindoff Petroff/Getty
French officials launched an investigation, with police initially arresting 17 suspects in connection with the robbery across the country in January 2017. The first four men were indicted on Jan. 12, 2017.
“She’s surrounded by paparazzi, any of whom could have given this information to others for a fee,” Christopher Hagon, a managing partner at Incident Management Group, a Florida-based international security consulting firm, told PEOPLE in October 2016. “It’s either an inside job, or she’s been under surveillance. I think it’s a blend of [both].”
One of the men arrested was Gary M., the younger brother of Kardashian’s Paris chauffeur.
Kim was with her sisters Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner earlier in the evening, but went to her hotel room alone while they had a night out on the town.
Kim Kardashian — SNL50: The Anniversary Special. John Nacion/Variety via Getty
Kim’s bodyguard, Pascal Duvier, accompanied the Poosh founder, 45, and the model, 29, for the outing.
“I was Snapchatting that I was home and that everyone was going out,” she explained during a March 2017 episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, noting that the robbers likely tracked her via social media. “So I think they knew Pascal was out with Kourtney and that I was there by myself.”
French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche reported that Kim told police it was just before 3:00 a.m. when she “heard a noise at the door, like footsteps” and called Duvier.
Kim Kardashian, 2025 Vanity Fair Oscar Party. Neilson Barnard/Getty
“Through the door, I saw two people arrive, plus the night man who was tied up,” she said.
The mom of four added that the men tied her up as she was “wearing a bathrobe, naked underneath.”
Kim emotionally recounted the incident while speaking to her sisters in season 13 of KUWTK.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
“They dragged me out onto the hallway on top of the stairs,” Kim recalled. “That’s when I saw the gun clear, like clear as day. I was kind of looking at the gun, looking down back at the stairs.”
“I was like; ‘I have a split second in my mind to make this quick decision,’ ” she said.
“Am I going to run down the stairs and either be shot in the back? It makes me so upset to think about it. Either they’re going to shoot me in the back, or if I make it and they don’t, if the elevator does not open in time, or the stairs are locked, then like I’m f—–. There’s no way out.”